Didn’t I tell you that I am into healthy things? And that I don’t bake very often because we can’t eat all the stuff? Forget about that for a minute.
2 large eggs
200g caster sugar
zest from 1 lemon, finely grated
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
280g plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
250ml low fat greek yoghurt
icing sugar for dusting
1. Whisk egg and sugar until pale, thick and creamy (3-4 minutes).
2. Add lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Beat for a further 1 minute
3. In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Fold into the above mixture.
4. Mix in the yoghurt and then the oil.
5. Pour batter into a lined and greased 21-26cm cake tin. Bake at 180C in a preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Leave cake in tin to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cake rack to cool.
7. Dust with icing sugar (optional).
1) Plain unsweetened yogurt can be used in place of greek yogurt. I use my own homemade low fat greek yogurt and pure vanilla bean extract.
2) 21cm cake tin : bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cake height 6cm/2½”.
26cm cake tin : bake for 35 minutes. The height of the cake is 5cm/2″.
This cake freezes well. Cut it into serving slices, arrange on a tray close together but not touching and put into the freezer. Once it is frozen, transfer the slices into ziplock bags. To serve, thaw at room temperature or microwave for 30 seconds.